Our Climate Roadmap
Global warming threatens the places we care about deeply, as well as community health, the farming systems we depend on to grow our food, and countless other vital aspects of life. Clif has made climate action a key pillar of our sustainability program for over 20 years and, in 2020, we set a science-based target to cut greenhouse gas emissions in half by 2030. To reach our goal, we created a roadmap outlining greenhouse gas reduction plans for each source of emissions across our operations and supply chain. Climate action continues to be an essential part of our ongoing journey to becoming a regenerative company.
Our Climate Targets:
- By 2030 we will reduce emissions by 50%
- Our goal for 2030 is to cut greenhouse gas emissions (mtCO2e, or metric tonnes of carbon dioxide equivalent) in half at our HQ and Clif-owned bakeries as compared to 2018, our baseline year. In 2021 these emissions dropped 14.8% over baseline.
- We’re working to cut our 2030 greenhouse gas emissions by 50% per lb. of finished product below our 2018 baseline. This year, they decreased 13.2% over baseline
- By 2040 we will meet our CLIMATE PLEDGE COMMITMENT of net-zero carbon (including the use of offsets); see theclimatepledge.com
- 2050 NET-ZERO (does not include offsets)
Our Commitment to Reforestation
We’ve planted 355,000 trees so far, and are working toward our goal of planting 1 million trees by 2025!
Packaging with Purpose
In 2019, we signed the Ellen MacArthur Foundation Global Commitment to help create a world where plastic never becomes waste or pollution. Our 2025 commitment:
- 100% of our packaging will be reusable, recyclable, or compostable
- 25% of our plastic packaging will be made with renewable or recycled materials
- We will reduce virgin plastic use by 12%
- 100% of our packaging will include messaging to help drive awareness and education
- We will remove 1 million pounds of plastic waste from the environment
Reducing Food Waste
In 2020, Clif Bar joined the 10x20x30 Food Loss and Waste Initiative led by the World Resources Institute with a goal of cutting food loss and waste in half by 2030.
In 2020, our baseline year, we generated just under 85 tonnes of food waste, which represents approximately 0.17% of our total food material
In 2021, we generated approximately 83 tonnes, or 0.14% of total food material
New Vendor Code of Conduct
100% of direct suppliers meet our Vendor Code of Conduct or equivalent by 2030
Clif has had a Vendor Code of Conduct for over 10 years, as well as valued partnerships with our distribution centers, co-manufacturers, materials suppliers, and producers. Together, we’ve worked on award-winning projects like 50/50 by 2020 to increase renewable energy throughout our supply chain.
In 2022, Clif will publish our revised Vendor Code of Conduct, which explains the updated requirements for all our supply chain vendors. We look forward to this next stage of fruitful collaboration.